With the backing of the Lyman & Ash law firm, I launched the nonprofit Philadelphia Obituary Project in 2016. The project shines a positive light on the lives of the city’s homicide victims — in contrast to the victim-blaming that often occurs in the media — and provides a measure of closure to survivors. I currently serve as editor and as a board member of the nonprofit organization that funds the project.
As founding editor, I:
- Oversaw the conception and design of the website,
- Established relationships with the Philadelphia Police Department and victims services groups,
- Connected with survivors to write stories,
- Recruited part-time reporters,
- Executed a public relations media campaign to build support, and
- Helped formulate a fundraising plan.
To donate to the Philadelphia Obituary Project, please click the image below and fill out the contact form.